COVID-19 Coronavirus Information
Below you can find general information about the COVID-19 coronavirus, as well as up-to-date information about the City's response to the pandemic.
The Province of Manitoba is on Red (Critical) Status
The Northern Health Region, including the City of Thompson, is under a Restricted (Orange) status effective November 12, 2020.
Significant changes include:
- Gathering sizes will be limited to five people, including public and private gatherings;
- Masks will be required in all indoor places;
- "Critical" businesses like grocers may operate at 25% capacity.
- Non-essential businesses must shift to e-service, delivery, or curb-side pick-up.
- Casinos, bingo halls and entertainment facilities will close.
- Gyms and fitness areas must close.
- Restaurants must shift to delivery, take out, or drive-thru services.
- Recreational sports facilities must close (indoor and outdoor).
- Schools and daycares remain open.
Latest Manitoba Bulletins
Residents can see the latest updates on COVID-19 in Manitoba at the Government of Manitoba webpage, at:
City Hall is open to the public for bills, applications, Hub of the North merchandise, and pre-booked meetings only. Please stay home if you feel ill in any way. You must wear a mask indoors.
If you need to meet with a staff member for any other reason, please call 204-677-7910 to arrange a meeting.
The TRCC is closed as long as the Northern Health Region remains in Critical (Red) Status, with hte exception of flu shot clinics.
The Public Works office and yard remain closed to the public.
City services continue as normal, including curbside garbage and recycling pick-up, snow removal, and water breaks.
You can view updates on COVID-19 across the province of Manitoba here:
Waste Disposal Grounds + Recycling Center
Residential curbside garbage and recycling pick-up continues as normal.
The Waste Disposal Grounds are still open, including household hazardous waste. Drivers must report to the scale before entering the grounds, and the attendant will collect fees in a small bucket. Exact change is required.
Tipping fees are as follows:
- Half-ton Residential: $10
- Double Axle Residential: $21
- Couches and Mattresses: $20
- Fridges and AC Units: $40
The Thompson Recycling Center is only collecting recycling from businesses that can leave their recycling outside. Customers should contact the Recycling Centre at 204-677-7991 to make arrangements for collection. Curbside residential pick-up continues as normal.
Mental Health Support
Social distancing can be difficult, especially for Manitobans who live alone, work alone, or who already struggle with their mental health. Depression, anxiety, and negativity can creep up on us in unexpected ways.
It's normal during these unprecedented times, but that doesn't mean we have to deal with it alone. Anyone who is struggling should reach out to people they trust, and who they're close to.
For those of us who need extra help, the Province of Manitoba has set up specialized mental health supports for people experiencing difficulty during this time. You can find more information about the Province of Manitoba's virtual therapy services and other resources on their website by clicking the link below.
Manitoba Mental Health Resources and Virtual Therapy