What construction projects require building permits?
A building permit is required for new construction, additions, alterations, renovations, relocations, and repairs or rehabilitation of a building or structure. Some minor repairs do not require a building permit. Below is a list of typical projects and whether or not they require a building permit.
BUILDING PERMITS are required for:
- Constructing a new building
- Any additions to an existing building
- Building construction exceeding $10,000 in costs including roof repairs
- Projects receiving assistance from the Home Renovation Tax Assistance (HRTA) Program (Manitoba Hydro Loans)
- A detached building (garage, storage sheds, gazebos, etc.) with a floor area over 108ft2 / 10m2 (ex.10ft x 10ft)
- Decks, sunrooms, porches
- Temporary or permanent business sign ( Free standing or affixed to buildings)
- Enclosing an existing deck
- Finishing previously unfinished spaces in a home such as basement developments, attics, etc.
- Plumbing, electrical or air-conditioning systems
- Foundation repairs
- Hot tubs/ pools or any device capable of holding over 2 ft / 600mm of water
- Wheelchair ramps or barrier free accessibility
- Demolition or removal of all or portions of a building
BUILDING PERMITS are not required for:
Although a building permit may not be required, it is still necessary for the construction projects to comply with the current Manitoba Building Code, applicable zoning/development bylaws and requirements.
- Patching, painting or decorating
- Replacing stucco, siding or shingles with same material
- Replacing doors and windows when the opening is not altered
- Installing cabinets and shelves;
- Detached accessory storage building not greater than 108ft2 /10m2 in building area
What are the processing times for Building Permits?
The most important thing is to ensure that you have all your documentation and plans/ blue prints in order when you submit your permit application. Some Building permits will require a Development Permit application and or a Variation Application. If this is the case the process will take longer.
We encourage you to submit your application well in advance of your project start date.
For additional information regarding Building Permits.
Phone (204) 677-7953
We're currently in the process of developing online forms for our Inspections and License departments. The Building Permit application below is a test form only, and is not yet officially accepted. Please contact our Building Inspector for the appropriate paperwork until we are ready to accept online forms in full.