A Building Permit is required for any freestanding or attached deck.
Information Required to make an application for a building permit:
- You must present one copy of a Survey, a Surveyor’s Building Location Certificate. As an alternative, a well-drawn site plan showing all property dimensions, location of all buildings, and the location and size of the proposed deck may be acceptable.
- Copies of the construction and elevation plans are required. These plans detail how the deck will be constructed.
- Must show the overall size of the deck, the size and spacing of the beams, posts and deck joists, the species and grade of the wood material being used.
- Guardrails are required on decks that are more than 600mm (24 in) above finished ground level. If a guardrail is required the openings through the guards must be less than 100 mm (4in) to prevent children from accidently getting their head stuck in the guard.
- The type of foundation you have chosen to support the deck and the location of any stairs leading to or from the deck.
- Must show the height of the deck floor above finished ground level at its highest point and the height and type of guardrail being used around the perimeter of the deck.
- Will determine the location, side and rear yard clearances for the deck.