Employment Opportunity – SCREENING OFFICER
12 month contract
Reporting to the Manager of Public Safety, this position will be responsible to assist members of the public through the quasi-judicial screening process under the Municipal By-Law Enforcement Act (MBEA). This position will act as the primary point of contact at the City of Thompson for citizens wanting to engage the screening process under the MBEA. The role of the Screening Officer is to ensure compliance with the requirements of the MBEA and applicable City of Thompson by-laws. The Officer must be knowledgeable about the principles of administrative law as it relates to municipal by-laws and the conduct of hearings and the consideration of evidence presented. Contract fees for this position are currently under review.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Conduct reviews and screenings of By-Law Penalty Notices issued under the Municipal By-Law Enforcement Act.
2. Ensure that required administrative processes under the MBEA are followed.
3. Provide information to the public regarding offences under various City of Thompson by-laws which fall under the jurisdiction of the MBEA.
4. Negotiate compliance agreements with the general public with respect of by-law penalty notices where applicable.
5. Communicate reasons related to judgement decisions both orally and in writing in a timely fashion.
• Minimum of Grade 12, with extensive knowledge of and experience with, court/legal processes and procedures.
• Certificate, diploma, or degree in a related area such as civil litigation, political science, law enforcement, public policy, public administration or business administration would be considered an asset.
• Strong analytical and decision-making skills with the ability to exercise sound judgement and use discretion.
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work under pressure to meet workload demands and deadlines while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail in a high-volume environment.
• Knowledge of federal and provincial statutes, regulations and municipal by-laws relevant to applicable matters that are within the jurisdiction of the MBEA.
• Demonstrated ability to perform under pressure in a high stress or emotionally challenging environment.
• Excellent customer service skills including the ability to effectively deal with people in a fair, courteous, professional and diplomatic way. Speaks clearly, calmly and professionally while maintaining appropriate customer relations during very stressful situations; always courteous and tactful.
• Effective communication and listening skills including the ability to effectively communicate both in writing and verbally. Ability to produce relevant reports in a professional format.
Detailed resumes outlining education, relevant experience, qualifications and references will be accepted up to and including Monday, March 27, 2017. Those interested may apply in confidence to:
Human Resources, City of Thompson
226 Mystery Lake Road
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.