Education of the general public is a high priority at Thompson Fire and Emergency Services. We believe that through education we preserve lives and property and lessen the impact on the environment.
We educate the public with a number of tools
- Sparky the dog, our mascot to teach about fire safety to kids;
- Various videos and pamphlets, including material from Nero and Ashcan, for people of all ages;
- Station tours, we provide tours of the hall for all age groups;
- Youth fire stop program, providing education of the consequences to young fire starters.
If you would like more information on any of any of our education programs, please call our General Inquiries line at 677-7916
during regular business hours.
When you call the Thompson Fire & Emergency Services (TFES) emergency line at 677-7911
the dispatcher will always ask the following four questions:
- Fire and Ambulance, what is the address of you emergency?
- What’s the telephone number you are calling from?
- What is your name?
- What’s the problem? Tell me exactly what happened.
In addition to asking questions, in serious medical emergencies, our dispatchers are trained to provide pre-arrival instructions. Thompson Fire & Emergency Services dispatchers are trained to instruct callers on how to do CPR, maintain airways, deliver a child, control serious bleeding, and provide instructions for choking victims.
Thompson Fire & Emergency Services is proud of the new training and capability of our dispatchers. We are confident this new training will allow us to continue to improve, and deliver the high level of service that the citizens of Thompson deserve.
TFES dispatchers will then move onto more specific information regarding the patient and their condition. Please remember that HELP IS ON THE WAY! Getting detailed information from the caller about the condition of the patient is critical, and allows our dispatchers to give our responding paramedics more accurate information. Even while you are answering questions and talking to our dispatchers, help is being sent to you without delay.